What are the costs of living in the Netherlands?
Back to the overview
- Blogs, news and agenda
- What are the costs of living in the Netherlands?
The Netherlands is known as a country with a high quality of life. But that comes with a price tag. In this article, we provide insight into the average costs for a single-person household in the Netherlands.
- Rent is usually the biggest expense for a household. Monthly rent for a 1- or 2-room apartment ranges from €500 to €1,000. For a larger apartment or a house with more rooms, you'll pay between €1,000 and €1,500 per month.
- In addition to rent, the costs for electricity, gas, and water are an important expenditure. On average, you'll pay between €100 and €200 per month, depending on your usage and energy supplier. Telecommunication costs (phone, internet, and television) average between €50 and €100 per month. Costs vary depending on the provider, type of subscription, and usage of the services.
- Groceries and food cost an average of €200 to €300 per month, depending on personal preferences, eating habits, location, and where groceries are purchased.
- Insurance, such as health, home contents, and liability insurance, average between €150 and €200 per month. It's important to compare different insurers and see which insurance policies best fit your personal needs and budget.
- Transportation costs vary widely and depend on the type of transportation, distance, and frequency of travel. On average, you'll pay between €50 and €150 per month. Many employers in the Netherlands reimburse commuting costs through a mileage allowance.
- Sports and hobbies cost an average of €50 to €100 per month, while clothing and personal care cost between €50 and €150 per month. Finally, you can expect to spend an average of €50 to €100 per month on leisure and going out.
It's important to remember that these are just averages and that actual costs can vary depending on personal choices and circumstances.
We're here for you!
Do you want to start working in the Netherlands or Belgium, or would you like to meet with us for personalized information and advice? Contact us now!